This archeological adventure will take you to the lost cities of northern Peru. Begin in Lima and stop at the famous Larco Museum before continuing to the northern coast of Peru, home to significant pre-Colombian findings. You will visit the well-preserved, treasure-filled tomb of the Lord of Sipán, as well as the incredible Moche Temples of the Sun and Moon, and the Chimu city of Chan Chan, said to be the largest adobe city in the world.
Note: We require minimum two passengers traveling together If single traveler ask for the supplement.
Day 1: Arrival in Lima
Day 2: Lima City Tour and Larco Museum Tour
Day 3: Arrival in Trujillo, City Tour and Sun and Moon Temple Tour
Day 4: Chan Chan Tour and Visit to Huanchaco
Day 5: Arrival in Chiclayo and Royal Tombs Museum
Day 6: Valley of the Pyramids and Sipan Huaca Rajada Tour
- DURATION: 6 days / 5 nights.
- DEPARTURES: Daily departures
- ACTIVITIES: According the below itinerary
- AIRFARES: Not included, available upon request
Day 1 : Arrival in Lima
- You will be picked up at the airport by our representative and taken to your confirmed Lima hotel.
- Have the remainder of the day to rest and start exploring Lima on your own.
Day 2 : Lima City Tour and Larco Museum Tour
- Today you’ll enjoy a fascinating private Lima City and Museum tour.
- After breakfast at your hotel, your English-speaking guide will take you to Lima’s historic center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here you will admire the Plaza Mayor (the central square), which is surrounded by five important buildings: the Government Palace, the Cathedral, the Archbishop’s Palace, the Municipal Palace, and the Palace of Lima. You’ll then travel a few blocks to the San Francisco Monastery, famous for its catacombs where over 250,000 bones rest.
- Later you will visit one of Peru’s finest museums, the Larco Museum. Located in the cultural and historical district of Pueblo Libre, the museum boasts the world’s largest collection of gold and silver items from ancient Peru. It also holds a famous collection of erotic artifacts from the Moche civilization, including masterpieces of Pre-Columbian art that have been showcased around the world.
- After the tour, you’ll return to your hotel in Lima and have the remainder of the day to spend at your leisure. We recommend a stroll through the scenic Parque del Amor (Park of Love) which overlooks Lima’s coastline.
Day 3 : Arrival in Trujillo, City Tour & Sun and Moon Temple Tour
- After breakfast at your hotel, you will meet your transfer to the airport for your flight from Lima to Trujillo.
- Upon arrival in Trujillo, a Peru For Less representative will meet you at the airport and accompany you to your confirmed Trujillo hotel.
- Once you have settled in, you will start your Trujillo adventures. First you will tour the main colonial, governmental, and religious sites in this beautiful city. You will see the Muralla de Trujillo or Wall of Trujillo, which was built in the 17th century and protected the city from attacks by pirates, as well as the Plazuela El Recreo, and the Caja de Agua, a water delivery system used in the Colonial period. The tour will also visit the well-known Palacio Iturregui, as well as several other mansions and important buildings. This part of the tour will end with a visit Archeological Museum in Trujillo.
- In the afternoon, you will tour the incredible Moche Temples of the Sun & Moon, located right outside of the city. First, the Temple of the Sun, which is believed to have been built with more than 100 million adobe bricks and is over 140 feet (45 meters) tall. Next, the Huaca de la Luna or Temple of the Moon, which consists of several adobe structures. Between these two sites lies the buried Moche city, which archeologists are slowly and patiently excavating. Some homes and streets are gradually being revealed, allowing researchers to learn more about this unique culture. You will also visit the new Huacas de Moche Museum.
- In the late afternoon you will return to your Trujillo hotel and have time to relax and explore at your leisure.
Day 4 : Chan Chan Tour & Visit to Huanchaco
- This morning your adventures continue with a visit to another remarkable archeological site: the ancient adobe city of Chan Chan. This is the largest adobe city in the world, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which was constructed by the Chimu culture around 1,300 AD. The city is spread out across over 10 square miles (18 kilometers).
- You will see the Huaca El Dragon (the Dragon Temple), also known as the Rainbow Temple. This is a large religious monument surrounded by walls that are nearly 20 feet (6 meters) tall. You will also explore the Chan Chan Museum, learning more about the architectural styles of the Moche and Chimu cultures.
- Your final visit within the city of Chan Chan is the Palacio Tschudi, one of the best preserved structures in the archeological complex. Here you will see adobe walls decorated with a variety of figures, as well as ceremonial plazas, agricultural storage areas and more.
- The tour will end with a visit to the nearby beach town of Huanchaco, a fishing village, where you will see the traditional totora (reed) boats used by fishermen to this day.
- You will return to your hotel for time to rest and relax or continue exploring more of Trujillo at your leisure.
Day 5 : Arrival in Chiclayo & Royal Tombs Museum
- After breakfast, meet your private transfer for your trip to Chiclayo. The drive will take approximately 3 hours and upon arrival you will be taken to your Chiclayo hotel for check-in.
- After settling in, you’ll meet your guide for a private tour of the Museum of the Royal Tombs of Sipán, which exhibits some of the treasures found in the tomb of the Lord of Sipán in 1987. Sipán was a large ceremonial and burial complex built by the Moche culture in approximately 250 AD. The complex is especially valuable thanks to its excellent state of preservation and protection from grave robbers and looters.
- The impressive three-story museum is shaped like a pyramid and is similar to the tomb where the Lord of Sipán was discovered with his ancient treasures. The Royal Tombs of Sipán Museum is the largest museum dedicated to just one archeological discovery and it also includes the most ample intact collection of gold relics in the Americas.
- In the late afternoon you’ll return to your Chiclayo hotel and have the evening to relax and explore the city at your leisure.
Day 6 : Valley of the Pyramids & Sipan Huaca Rajada Tour
- After breakfast at your hotel, you’re Archeological Adventures will continue to Túcume, the Valley of the Pyramids and to the Sipan Huaca Rajada complex.
- In Túcume, you’ll visit an archeological complex built by the Sican in 1,000 AD. The vast brick pyramids were an important regional center for successive civilizations, and today are considered to be deeply spiritual, even fearsome places among local people. There are a total of 25 pyramids in the area, and you will see the Huaca Las Estacas, Mirador, and Huaca Larga, among others – as well as the on-site museum.
- At the Huaca Rajada, a fully intact tomb of an elite member of the Moche culture was found. Here you will also visit the on-site museum and learn about on-going archeological excavations.
- In the evening, stroll around the city and enjoy your last day along the Peruvian coast before heading toward your next destination.
1-Please note that on Mondays the Museum of Royal Tombs of Sipan and the Museum of Sican are closed.
Instead we may offer the Bruning Museum.
2-The city tour in Trujillo suggested program Monday through Friday between 9 am and 2 pm.
Outside these hours that may be widescreen or alternative views.
END OF THE SERVICES
INCLUDES: All hotel and lodge accommodations based on double or single occupancy. All scheduled transportation. All transfers. All scheduled excursions with English-speaking guide services. All entrance fees.
IMPORTANT: For a better service, the company informs you that it has autonomy to change the Hotels mentioned in the itinerary with another one of similar category if therefore sees it by advisable taking into account justifiable availability of spaces or other reasons, if this it is the case you will be notified ahead of time.
NOT INCLUDED IN THE FEE
International and domestic airfares, airport departure taxes or visa fees, excess baggage charges, additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages or bottled water, snacks, meals (unless otherwise specified), insurance of any kind, laundry, phone calls, radio calls or messages, reconfirmation of international flights and items of personal nature.